Friday, October 03, 2008

Form W-8BEN given at time of opening a bank account

If you are on H-1B, you are a resident alien for tax purposes. Fill form W-9 instead. I think this is for interest income, which needs to be reported. And taxed! I think they will send a 1099-MISC at the end of the year.


W-8BEN is to declare you are exempt from US taxes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very helpful. It clarifies things for me. I was searching on line when I come across this form ( used it and it worked. You might want to try.