Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Haram and Halal Meat

I sat puzzled. I was aware that there was a debate amongst scholars, but there was supposedly a strong view amongst the Arabs in particular that the meat available in the market was halal. I called a friend – Ahmad Attar, a black American revert to Islam – who always shared in my thinking. We discussed the verses of the Qur’an and were convinced that we had to find a way to acquire halal meat at least for ourselves, even if we had to go to NY to buy it.


A few days later, it was Eid day, and at the annual Eid dinner, I read out the verses of the Qur’an and invited all Muslims to join our halal meat club. Ahmad and I volunteered to go to NY every other weekend to bring the halal meat for all members of our club. Around 20 of them joined us, starting a halal meat service in the Boston area for the first time. Within months, one of the local mosques decided to take up our project, leading to a regular supply within the city. Indeed Allah is Great, Who guides us to the Straight Path.

No comments: